The purpose of this award is to enable the learner to acquire the knowledge, skills and competence to work as a special needs assistant in a range of education settings, such as primary and post-primary.
- Leaving Cert/Leaving Cert Applied or its equivalent.
- For mature students, work experience will be considered in lieu of formal education.
A period of work experience is incorporated in this programme.
Graduates from this course will be qualified to support the learning environment of children attending different education settings.
Graduates who achieve the required standard may progress to further studies in Institutes of Technology and Universities. Examples of progression courses include:
- Early Childcare & Education Level 6 (available in the College) – a minimum of 5 credits at QQI Level 5 is required.
- DIT, DT571 Social Care
- DIT, DT572 Early Childhood Education
- IT Blanchardstown, BN118 Early Childhood Education