This course introduces the student to the area of social care in a variety of settings. It develops the core skills and knowledge to practice safely in caring for people with a range of social care needs. Integral to this course is the development of empathy and understanding when working with people in a variety of care environments.
- Leaving Cert/Leaving Cert Applied or its equivalent.
- For mature students, work experience will be considered in lieu of formal qualifications
There is a minimum of two weeks’ work experience placement included in this course. This work experience may be in a community service setting such as family resource centres, information centres and drop-in services.
On completing this course successful applicants can make an informed choice about working or studying further in the vocational areas of applied psychology and social studies.
Graduates who achieve the required standard may also progress to further studies to Institutes of Technology and Universities. Examples of progression courses include:
- NUIM, MH107 Social Science
- IT Tallaght, TA025 Social Care Practice
- DCU, DC209 Health & Society
- NCI, NC010 Psychology
- IADT – BA Hons. in Social Care Practice (TA025)
- IT Carlow – BA in Applied Social Studies (Professional Social Care) (CW717)