This course is designed and delivered to enhance the students knowledge and understanding of the roles and responsibilities of a professional nurse or progress to related areas in higher education. Students will study core modules in nursing theory and learn new key skills in our teaching clinical suite. Students also have the opportunity to participate in their work experience in a healthcare service.
Leaving Cert or its equivalent is advised. Mature students are welcome to apply. Work/life experience will be considered in lieu of formal education.
Supervised clinical work experience in hospitals and other healthcare facilities is incorporated into this course. Students are required to undertake Garda Vetting prior to work placement commencing
Employment Progression Opportunities
Employers actively seek DCFE Graduates for employment in the public, private sectors, nursing homes, hospitals, agencies and community care.
Higher Education Progression
Higher Education Institutions, Universities, Technological Universities offer places to QQI CAO applicants.
The Higher Education Links Scheme HELMS gives students the opportunity to use their QQI Level 5 or 6 major award to apply through the CAO for a place in the first year of a higher education programmes. Mature student entry is also available.
Trinity College Dublin www.tcd.ie
- BSc General Nursing (TR091, TR093)
- BSc Midwifery (TR913)
- BSc Mental Health Nursing (TR095)
- BSc Intellectual Disability Nursing (TR097)
Dublin City University www.dcu.ie
- BSc General Nursing (DC215)
- BSc Psychiatric Nursing (DC216)
- BSc Intellectual Disability Nursing (DC217)
- BSc Children’s and General (Integrated) (DC218)
- BSc Health and Society (DC209)
University College Dublin www.ucd.ie
- BSc General Nursing (DN450)
- BSc Mental Health Nursing (DN453)
- BSc Midwifery (DN452)
- BSc Children’s and General (Integrated) (DN451)
- BSc Psychology (DN720)
- BSc Social Science (DN700)
Maynooth University www.nuimaynooth.ie
- BSocSc Social Science (MH107)
- BA Arts (MH101)
- BA Psychology (MH106)
- Bachelor of Social Science (MH107)
Students can apply to the UK through UCAS as well as a number of Universities across the EU through EUNICAS.IE
Graduates wishing to apply for Nursing in Ireland must satisfy the minimum requirement of Nursing and Midwifery Board of Ireland (NMBI).