Leaving Certificate or its equivalent is advised. Mature students are welcome to apply, and work/life experience will be considered in lieu of formal qualifications. Leaving Cert – Minimum O4 in Ordinary Maths.
Programme of Study
- Fundamentals of Object Oriented Programming
- Software Architecture
- Programming and Design Principals
- Math for IT
- Web Authoring
- Database Methods
- Work Experience
We encourage students to acquire relevant work placements to enhance their program of study.
While the main focus of this course is to prepare students for further study, there are entry-level positions available in the industry for graduates with a QQI Level 5 certification in Software Development. These positions could include junior software developer, technical support, or software testing roles. Employers typically provide suitable training for new hires to further develop their skills and knowledge. With the right experience and qualifications, graduates could progress to roles such as senior software developer, IT consultant, or project manager.
On completion of the course, students can pursue a number of computer science degree courses through the CAO, including:
- TU Dublin Grangegorman: TU856 Computer Science, TU857 Computer Science (Infrastructure), TU858: Computer Science (International)
- TU Dublin Tallaght: TU859: Computing, TU861: Computing with Languages, TU862: Computing with Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning
- Dublin City University DCU: DC121 Computing, DC123 Data Science
- IADT DL836: Creative Computing
Advanced Entry: Alternatively, students can progress to Computer Science QQI Level 6, which in turn links to Year 2 of the following degree programs:
- TU856: Computer Science, TU Dublin Grangegorman
- TU857: Computer Science (Infrastructure), TU Dublin Grangegorman
- TU858: Computer Science (International), TU Dublin Grangegorman
- DL836: Creative Computing, IADT
Andrzej Zero, who completed our Computer Science Level 5 course, is currently studying Computer Science at TUD Tallaght. Here’s what he had to say about his experience:
“I would fully recommend the Computing Course at DCFE, I enjoyed every part of it. The teachers are very friendly, helpful, and dedicated to their work. The course prepared me very well, and I was offered a place at university. The knowledge gained during the course made further studies easier and was applied to many of my university modules.”