These courses will provide students with a thorough practical knowledge of Horticulture, Landscape Design, Garden Maintenance and Plant Propagation making it the perfect programme to gain employment with Landscapers, Public Parks, Nurseries and Garden Centers or alternatively students can select elective in Market Gardening and Plant Propagation making it the perfect programme to gain employment with Market gardeners and the farming sector. The specialist modules allow students to select based on their chosen area of interest. It also facilitates progression to Horticulture programmes on offer in the college at Level 6.
- Leaving Cert or its equivalent is advised.
- Mature students are welcome to apply. Life/work experience will be considered in lieu of formal qualifications.
Work Placement/Gardening Projects
Practical experience is an integral part of the course. And includes a 440 hour placement. The College has established the following practices to enhance learners’ exposure to horticulture:
- Garden maintenance in public parks, private gardens and college grounds
- Community support: Designing and helping to build a garden for St Michael’s House,
- Maintaining the gardens of Simpson’s Nursing Home and helping with the Airfield
A wide variety of employment opportunities exist in Domestic Landscaping, Private Gardens, Public Parks and Nurseries, market gardens, managing your allotment and Garden Centers. The Design elective allows students to look after large gardens while the market gardening elective prepares learners to cultivate a site suitable to food crop production, have acquired skills in propagation, cultivation and harvesting of food crops.
Graduates who achieve the required standard may progress to our two year part-time programme in Horticulture Supervision or Market Gardening Supervision at level 6 or alternatively graduates may be eligible for advanced progression procedures to year 2 of Higher Certificate/Degree programmes in Horticulture through the CAO application process
- IT Blanchardstown, BN113 Horticulture
- National Botanic Gardens, Horticulture
- UCD, DN272 Horticulture, Landscape and Sportsturf Management (LC Ordinary level Maths required)